If you love Disney and you love cruising then Disney Cruise Line is for YOU! If you are not sure about taking a Disney Cruise be sure to tune in all summer long as we discuss the HOT topics that YOU wanted to know! This week our HOT topic is: Cruising with Children. Of course Disney Cruise Line is geared towards families but what exactly is there on board for children? Are there any extra costs involved?
What is offered for children?
There are several ways to break down this question because Disney was so meticulous in creating their kids areas that they are broken down by age. So depending on your child’s age will depend on where they spend their fun time.
Infants Ages 12 weeks-3 years
Each ship has a nursery area dedicated to infants. This is a fee-based babysitting program for children between the ages of 12 weeks-3 years. You will find the nursery to be a warm group setting environment where your child can play safely with other children his/her age.
Things to keep in mind:
- There is a $6 charge per hour to use the nursery. Additional children in the same family will be $5 per hour.
- There is a 2 hour minimum.
- Parents are required to provide all of the necessities such as, diapers, wipes, pull ups, pre-bottles, formula, baby food jars, sippy cups and more. Each item needs to be labeled.
- This service must be reserved in advance. Reservations start at 120 days prior to travel for Concierge and Platinum Castaway Club Guests all of the way to 75 days for first time cruisers.
Clubs for ages 3-7
Each ship boasts a meticulously themed kids club area that will transform your child(ren) into a fantasy! (See the theme of each ship below) In order for children to enter the club they must be toilet trained. The children will be divided into two age groups 3-4 and 5-7. This is done so that each group can be involved in activities that are developmentally appropriate.
The theme on both the Disney Wonder and Disney Magic cruise ship is Neverland. Your child will be able to explore hidden treasures, magic lamps and much more. On the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy children will have a wonderful time as they are transported into Andy’s Room, Monster’s Academy, Pixie Hollow, and Explorer Pod.
Preview of activities for ages 3-4
- Welcome Party-This is a time for children to explore the club by making a craft, dancing, singing songs, getting to know Cast Members and mingling with a Disney Character.
- Mouseketeer Training-Disney lovers you guessed it! Your little one will watch a few clips of the 50’s show and march along to the song all while being trained to be an official Mouseketeer.
- Aladdin’s Fun Adventure- A “Magic Carpet Ride” adventure awaits as the children visit the “cave” and “market” where this “Diamond in the Rough” began his escapades.
Preview of Activities for ages 5-7
- Welcome Party –This is a time for children to get acquainted with what the activities are for the day. They will explore the world of Jungles, Space and Pirates.
- To Infinity and Beyond-Buzz Lightyear needs help with his journey through the galaxy. He is looking for your little ones to help.
- Dig at Monstro’s Point-Kids will dig and explore while on Castaway Cay.
- The Ayes Have It-Kids will create 3-D glasses and use them to view special effects.
Oceaneers Club ages 8-12
The Oceaneers club is bright, futuristic and a BLAST for kids ages 8-12! Here kids will learn about exploring and adventure. There are video games on a jumbo screen, computers and much more. This ages group is also broken down into categories and each group has a personal navigator that has designed specific activities for them.
Preview of Activities for ages 8-9
- Welcome Party-This is a super fun way to kick off a wonderful vacation. Kids will create costumes from silly supplies. There will be a magic show, talent show and contests.
- Radio Waves ( 7 Night Caribbean Cruise Only)- Kids will create radio ads using silly sounds and effects.
- Three Caballero’s Piñata Party( 7 Night Caribbean Cruise Only) –They are celebrating a birthday but they lost the piñata. Kids will create one and have a party.
- Regatta Racers- Kids are given a bar of soap as a perfect yet hilarious way to begin their speedboat creation. This is a SUPER fun and funny time for kids!
Preview of Activities for ages 10-12
- Welcome Party- This is a super fun way to kick off a wonderful vacation. Kids will create costumes from silly supplies. There will be a magic show, talent show and contests.
- Marblemania( 7 Night Caribbean Cruise Only) – Teamates work together to create a one of a kind supreme marble racetrack.
- Splish Splash- The Mickey Pool is reserves just for the kids this night for a party and pizza.
- Search for Atlantis- Children will embark on an exploration of Castaway Cay.
In addition to the children being broken up into age groups there are also activities that are for ages 3-12. Such as :
- Salty Sea- This activity is designed to teach kids how ships stay afloat. They will make their own salt water and experiment with their boats.
- Crabby Crafts & Island Arts- This is a craft area for kids where they can learn and craft about sea life.
- Ocean Moves- Kids will have fun through exercise as they imitate the moves of sea creatures.
Things you should know:
- The Kid’s Club hours are 9AM-Midnight or 1AM daily. The clubs are provided mats for children that may be out past their bedtime.
- Parents should check their kids in on the day of arrival. Kids do not need to participate in club that day but paperwork should be filled out so that children can get their ID bracelets.
- Each stateroom has a set of wavephones that are used to communicate between the children and the parents.
- Children with Special Needs are welcome. Just give the kids club notice so that they can schedule an extra counselor if needed.
- Kids need to be checked into the club at least 15 minute prior to dinner time if you would like your child to have dinner in the club. If you have late dinner, counselors will come down to dinner at 9:00 PM to pick up kids that do not want to stay for the meal.
This is just the beginning of what is offered for kids on Disney Cruise Line. Next time I am going to do a feature on the Teen Clubs. Please do not hesitate to contact us with questions. We would love to help you!
Kelly, her husband, and three children live in the Chicagoland area. Kelly has been traveling to Walt Disney World since the age of two. She considers Walt Disney World to be her primary vacation destination. With 20 plus trips under her belt she still enjoys researching and learning new things about the most magical place on earth!