Disney World is full of all sorts of delightful rides. While my family really loves the thrills, we also find a lot of fun and enjoyment in some of the gentle rides as well. Sometimes you just need a gentle ride, because you are feeling tired or hot or you just need a moment to appreciate Disney. Here are my Top Ten faves:
1. Haunted Mansion – Take a ride on your own doom buggy through this spooky yet spunky haunted house to meet some happy ghosts! This is a tough thing to say, but this is one of my fave rides in all of Disney! I think it embodies a lot of the great things about why Disney is so great, with the experience and the animatronics and the complete dedication to the story of a ride. It’s great for a sweltering day, or an afternoon rain storm, because it’s all inside!
2. Spaceship Earth – I love the “golf ball” in EPCOT! I remember going to Disney when I was a small child and being amazed by how big it was. Another classic chill ride, also great for hot days and rainy days alike, this ride takes you on a journey from the past to the future, and how far mankind has come. It is just the sort of ride you can feel Walt himself IN!
3. Prince Charming Carousel – It really needs no explanation but I just love this carousel! Right behind Cinderella’s castle, there is no better place to sit, ride, and appreciate that you are in the most magical place on Earth!
4. Great Movie Ride – Located in Hollywood Studios, this gentle ride through motion pictures is another great way to get off your feet and enjoy Disney. The hosts are always full of fun facts and humor, and put on a little show to make you feel part of the movie. The scenes are fun, with some of our favorite characters from the movies. My favorite part is where they show the reel of all the movies at the end, it makes me feel so “Hollywood”!
5. Carousel of Progress – This is another ride that you can “feel” Walt Disney himself inside! Take a spin on this indoor, relaxing carrousel as you watch a family grow through the changes of America. My favorite part is the “future”
6. Jungle Cruise – This relaxing cruise ride is one of our faves because of the tour guides. They are fun and witty and full of fun jokes! It’s a refreshing ride, even on a hot day because of the shade and the movement of the boat.
7. People Mover – AKA the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. This is up there with the Haunted Mansion for me! I LOVE this attraction. It’s a must do for us, no matter what, but it’s a definite must do at night. What a great way to enjoy the park after along, hot day of walking and riding and seeing…I just love it! I love that it weaves in and out of the Tomorrowland attractions. I love that you get an awesome view of the castle. I love that you can people watch and talk about your favorite parts of your day. I just love it!
8. Journey of the Little Mermaid – The Little Mermaid is one of my most beloved Disney movies (besides Tangled!!) so this new attraction over in Fantasyland is also a must-do for me, as long as we can get a Fast Pass or get right on. It’s dark, it’s cool, it’s got Ariel and fun music and all of our favorite scenes from the movie. Yes!!!
9. Kilimanjaro Safari – My husband adores this attraction. The rest of us do too, but I think he really enjoys the “safari” feel and seeing all the animals. It’s hard to call it a “gentle” ride, because it is a bit bumpy on that safari truck, but it is relaxing to be out in “African scene” and trying to see all the beloved animals.
10. Pirates of the Carribean – Another one of my husbands all time favorites. I love it too because it’s indoors and dark, so another great ride for a hot or rainy day. Plus, who doesn’t love the PoC movies?
So what is on your favorite non-thriller attraction list, did I leave out anything important?!?!
Tina works full time as a school counselor in an elementary school. She lives close to Baltimore, MD with her husband Dave and her 13 year old stepdaughter, Ashley. They also have a furry family member, a cat name Frodo, that keeps life interesting in their house! Tina began visiting Disney World as a child with her family, and now her, Dave & Ashley take a trip to the World every year. She considers herself a Disney “fanatic” and once her family is finished one trip, she is already planning their next one. Tina loves to find the best deals, even in the busy seasons (she can only go when schools are off!) and loves sharing those deals & tips with anyone and everyone! What Tina loves most is the magic of WDW, it makes her feel like a kid again. She hopes that every family has the opportunity go to the World and experience the magic for themselves because it has a way of reminding its visitors that dreams do indeed come true! Read more of Tina’s work on her blog A Not So Bland Life, where she writes about home decor, cooking, couponing, traveling, and and of course, Disney!