Nothing beats Disney at Christmas!! This is the first year in four years that we aren’t traveling to the most magical place on earth during the holidays (we went for Food & Wine this year instead, which was awesome too!) Anyways, here are some of the merriest things to do in Disney during the holidays!
1. Enjoy the amazing decorations in the parks! From Cinderella’s Castle all decked out in thousands of lights, to the beautiful home town decor on Main Street, to the Osborne Spectacular in Hollywood Studios, there are so many decorations to enjoy. Slow down, take pictures, and be amazed!
2. Take a day off during your trip and resort hop. The decorations are all different and so amazing! The Grand Floridian, Boardwalk and Animal Kingdom are our favorites! This will save you some money by not being in the parks, and it will also give you a chance to relax and refresh (thus saving your sanity!) Have your family rate their favorite (see number 3!)
3. After resort hopping, grab a dessert at one of the resort counter services and chat about your favorite holiday decor!
4. Free movies at the resorts. Most resorts have free movies all year long. Take some family time during the holiday season and enjoy a free movie together:) Talk about the best thing you did that day, or why you love being in Disney at Christmastime.
5. Holidays around the World! This is included with your park ticket and is such a cool way to experience the holidays! Take some time to walk around World Showcase in Epcot and see how each country is decorated for the holidays, note the similarities and differences in each.
6. Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party! It’s totally worth the money! Less crowds, shorter lines, free cookies and cocoa, and snow on main street? It’s so fun! Not to mention the special Holiday Wishes and Parade, which was our favorite memory of our Christmas trip last year. So magical!
7. See Santa! You’ll see Santa in the parades of course, but if you are lucky enough to be staying in the resort on Christmas Eve, select resorts will have visits from Santa and he may even read to you!
8. Window shop (or last minute shop!) in Downtown Disney! Stop and see Santa here as well as listen to some lovely holiday music, carolers, and see the decorations.
9. Catch the tree lighting ceremony on Main Street in Magic Kingdom. Check the Times Guide for the schedule:) Grab a cup of coffee or cocoa and make it a special family time
10. Take family pictures. This is one of my favorite and inexpensive souvenirs. There are so many places to take great holiday pictures with all of the decorations! There are trees and lights and gingerbread houses everywhere! Any Cast Member will be happy to take the family picture for you;) The pictures are a great decoration for your home around the holidays.
Nothing beats Disney during the holidays. It’s our favorite time to visit, hands down! Merry Christmas!
Tina works full time as a school counselor in an elementary school. She lives close to Baltimore, MD with her husband Dave and her 13 year old stepdaughter, Ashley. They also have a furry family member, a cat name Frodo, that keeps life interesting in their house! Tina began visiting Disney World as a child with her family, and now her, Dave & Ashley take a trip to the World every year. She considers herself a Disney “fanatic” and once her family is finished one trip, she is already planning their next one. Tina loves to find the best deals, even in the busy seasons (she can only go when schools are off!) and loves sharing those deals & tips with anyone and everyone! What Tina loves most is the magic of WDW, it makes her feel like a kid again. She hopes that every family has the opportunity go to the World and experience the magic for themselves because it has a way of reminding its visitors that dreams do indeed come true! Read more of Tina’s work on her blog A Not So Bland Life, where she writes about home decor, cooking, couponing, traveling, and and of course, Disney!