May is a great month at Disney World (WDW)! There are so many special events happening! Expedition Everest 5k Challenge, Cinco de Mayo, and Star Wars Weekends!!! May is also one of the most delightful times in Florida since the Florida sunshine is mixed with lovely spring breezes. All activities do require park admission tickets.
The 2014 Expedition Everest Challenge is this weekend, May 3-4, 2014! This is not your typical 5K marathon! This 5K is a nighttime adventure run full of obstacles, a scavenger hunt, ending with a Post-Race Party! The Race begins in Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park at 10:00 pm on Saturday, May 3, 2014. You can run as an individual or double the fun and run as a two person Trek team. Participants receive a great Champion Short-sleeve tech shirt, personalized race bib if you registered before March 1, 2014), an Expedition Everest Challenge Finisher Medal, post-race refreshments and admission to the special post-race party inside Animal Kingdom Park!!!
The runDisney Kids Races is for Mouseketeers ages 4-10. This race begins on Saturday, May 3, 2014 at 9:00 am. Our youngest adventurers get to participate in the same running, climbing and searching just like Mom, Dad and older siblings but this kids race is designed just for them! All kids who participate go home a winner with their very own finisher medallion! The space is limited for this race so if you haven’t registered for this please check the runDisney site for availability.
The Family edition of this race begins Saturday, May 3, 2014 at 10:00 am. The Family edition begins and finishes at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. The requirements for the Family Edition of the Expedition Everest Challenge are:
- Ages 4 and up, must include one individual age 18 or older
- Up to 6 people per roster for a team
- No less than 2 people per group
Family Edition participants receive:
- Unisex Short-Sleeved T-Shirt (Adult and Kids sizes)*
- Personalized race bib (register before March 1, 2014)*
- Expedition Everest Challenge Family Edition Finisher Medallion*
- Post-race refreshments
Cinco de Mayo (5th of May only) celebrates Mexican heritage and an 1862 Mexican victory in the Battle of Puebla. This celebration features special family activities, music and food! Stop in one of the Mexican gift shops for a special Cinco de Mayo ear hat, then dine on authentic Mexican food at San Angel Inn Restaurante and La Hacienda de San Angel, at Epcot’s Mexico Pavilion.
Star Wars Weekends begin May 16, 2014!!! Star Wars characters and actors will give autograph sessions and appear in special motorcades at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Don’t miss Star Wars trivia contests and parades! Star Wars weekends are the perfect time to schedule your character meals at Hollywood & Vine! Disney characters dress as their favorite Star Wars character! Characters, such as Darth Vader and Boba Fett, will be appearing at Star Wars Dine-in Galactic Breakfast at the Sci-Fi Dine-in Theater Restaurant for the older fans! In addition to dining with characters, parades, and autographs, Disney offers limited edition merchandise, Jedi Training Academy, and a special Star Tour to continue your Star Wars Adventures “to infinity and beyond!” Remember park admission is required for these activities.
Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival continues with so many floral and butterfly colors! Truly a magical time at WDW! Be sure to catch the HGTV design celebrities hosting the Festival Center seminars:
- May 2 -4, 2014: Chip Wade, host of Elbow Room, will be getting you ready for your next home project.
- May 9-11, 2014: Genevieve Gorder of Dear Genevieve, will be showing how “designing a room comes down to finding out what gives you joy” on the Designer Stage in Epcot!
- May 16-18, 2014: Alison Victoria, Kitchen Crashers, is giving out tips to makeover your kitchen with style, beauty, and efficiency!
The 2014 Flower Power concerts also continue each weekend through May 18. Be sure to check out the videos of the featured songs by these awesome artists! I had a ball finding them so you could preview them!
- May 2-4: Starship starring Mickey Thomas “We Built This City”
- May 9-11: Chubby Checker & The Wildcats “The Twist”
- May 16-18: Alan Parsons Live Project “Eye in the Sky”
Don’t run with your sword and taco in your hand!
Till Next Time! ~ Leigh Anne
Leigh Anne, originally from Mississippi, lives in North Alabama with her husband and a menagerie of furry kids (FIDS), including dogs, cats, exotic birds, fish and a lionhead rabbit. Figment, her African Grey parrot, is named after Disney’s small purple dragon, Figment. She works as a motivational speaker and pastoral counselor. In 1974, Leigh Anne marched with the Enka High Marching Band in the Magic Kingdom daytime parade. Leigh Anne fell in love with Disney while on her Disney honeymoon with her husband in 2002. They have made an annual trip back to Disney to celebrate their anniversary every year since. Since they own a piece of the mouse with their Disney Vacation Club (DVC), some years they go twice! She also plans to be the grandmother that introduces all her grandchildren to Disney World first. She has a great start ~ 2 out of 3 so far! As a DVC member married to the best Disney shopper in the world, Leigh Anne has lots of experience in finding the most frugal way to have the most fun in the parks and resorts! Leigh Anne admits to being spoiled as a DVC member but is always on the lookout to keep their WDW vacations fun and frugal! She blogs at Queen of Hysteria and tweets @la_haygood
- Disney World Special Events: Run, Run Like the Wind or Discover Backstage Magic!
- Cast Member’s Corner: Run Disney
- Special Events at Walt Disney World: Mickey, Flowers, and Easter Eggs ~ Oh My!
- Disney World Special Events: School’s in Session but Disney is MORE Fun!
- Special Events at Walt Disney World: Rock n’ Roll through Africa with Obi-Wan Kenobi!