Refillable mugs: A great way to save some Disney dining dollars…and one of the most widely discussed, hotly debated, and misunderstood programs that Disney has available. Whether you have ever purchased a refillable mug, received one as part of a Dining Plan, or wondered where all these people got those cool looking mugs…you probably have had a few questions about how they work.
You have questions and we have answers. 🙂
So, let’s clear it all up and make you an expert in the Great Refillable Mug Debate! Following are Ten Do’s and Don’ts of Refillable Mugs that everyone should know:
- Do know that each resort property no longer has different collectible mugs for that specific hotel. All mugs are now one standard shape and size for all properties.
- Do refill your mug only at the resort hotel you are staying at or at a “sister” resort hotel (such as Yacht Club and Beach Club).
- Do refill your mug with unlimited refills of any of the following: coffee, iced/hot tea, soda, lemonade/fruit punch (where available), and hot chocolate
- Do understand that the mugs that are placed in your hotel room are for sale, and that if you use one, you will be charged for it. 🙂
- Do know that you can get your free refills at your hotel property, at the following places: food courts, quick service locations, and pool bars. You can also get refills at Beaches & Cream at the Beach Club and at the Boardwalk Bakery and Coffee Cart at the Boardwalk.
- Do not refill your mug with milk, orange juice or apple juice.
- Do not ask to use your mug for alcoholic drinks.
- Do not try to use your mug at other hotel properties that you are not staying at (admittedly hard for Disney to enforce since the mugs all look alike now…but your conscience knows 🙂 ).
- Do not try to use your mug at the parks for anything other than water. (Water parks have a separate mug that you can buy there.)
- Do not bring your mug from previous years to use on this trip for free refills. A sign at the refill stations clearly states that the mugs are for use at that hotel for the duration of your visit. Only. Sorry.
Now that you know all that, here are few other details about those little mugs that you may find helpful and/or interesting.
- You can currently purchase one of these 16 oz. insulated mugs for around $13.99 (plus tax). No other purchase is required to get either your mug or your free, unlimited refills as noted above.
- The following Dining Plans include a refillable mug for no additional charge: Quick Service, Deluxe, Premium, and Platinum Plans. The same rules apply.
- Thanks to the Disney Food Blog, I learned something pretty darn cool that I never knew: Each self-service refillable mug location has a mug wash: a small sink right next to the soda dispenser, so that you can wash your mug out between drinks. So get your morning cup of coffee, rinse, and then get that lemonade to go!
- There has also been some strong hints that Disney may be revising…or even do away with….the refillable mug program in the future. You can read about the details on the Disney Food Blog.
So there you have it. Everything you ever wanted to know about refillable mugs….and didn’t know who to ask. Glad to oblige. 🙂
This post is part of the 13th Disney Blog Carnival. Click here to read more fantastic posts from more fantastic Disney bloggers!