One of the things that I have always loved about Walt Disney World is how easily you can “learn” there: while the parks, resorts, and even restaurants offer tons of ways to be entertained, what may be one of Disney’s best kept secrets is that there are a seemingly limitless number of ways to learn as well. What’s that you say? Learning can be fun???
This is actually the premise for one of my favorite websites – Magical Mouse Schoolhouse – which is devoted to the idea that you can “learn while you play at Walt Disney World”. The brainchild of Jodi Whisenhunt, Magical Mouse Schoolhouse was developed to be a resource for homeschooling families. As Jodi writes, “children and their parents can think outside the textbook and stretch the walls of the home classroom with Walt Disney entertainment”.
Based the success of her website, Jodi has now authored an entire book filled with ideas on how to use the Walt Disney World resort to make learning fun for kids of all ages: Magical Mouse Schoolhouse: Learn While You Play at Walt Disney World Resort.
Whether you homeschool, or looking for ways to enhance your child’s learning (school projects anyone?), or just want ways to “get more” out of your vacation by learning more about Walt Disney World, there is something in Magical Mouse Schoolhouse for you!
Organized into seven sections, each covers a theme park, water park, or other theme associated with Disney World or Walt’s vision. There are then multiple chapters in each section that function as lesson plans. Each chapter provides some background information on the show, attraction, restaurant or concept, followed by a “takeaway”, which is a project that integrates the chapter’s subject with a traditional school subject (science, history, home economics, etc.). With a list of supplies needed and simple, easy-to-follow instructions, the projects are easy to do….and needless to say, fun!
The chapters that Magical Mouse Schoolhouse offers had me eagerly checking them out to learn more! A few favorites:
- Magic Kingdom: “If I Were a Cast Member” discusses some of the humor that is used in many of the attractions as a way to encourage creative writing
- Magic Kingdom: “The Magic Kingdom Utilidors” describes the fabled underground system as a way to set up an art and set design project
- Epcot: Each country in World Showcase is explored individually, with fascinating tips for learning more about each country’s culture, history, food etc. If you have ever wanted to learn more about the countries of World Showcase, this section is for you! And needless to say, there are tons of interesting and valuable lessons in this section.
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios: “The Great Movie Ride” takes you on a tour of the history of movies as experienced on this ride….and then in honor of the movie “Alien”, gives directions on how to make your very own alien slime. It doesn’t get more fun than that!
Magical Mouse Schoolhouse is just fun! Yet at the same time, it is filled with such a treasury of ways to learn, that it is the perfect resource for those who love Disney and love to learn. As Walt Disney said: “When you’re curious, you find lots of interesting things to do.”
I’m pretty sure Walt would heartily approve of Magical Mouse Schoolhouse: Learn While You Play at Walt Disney World Resort and I am positive you will too!
I am honored to have a signed copy of Magical Mouse Schoolhouse: Learn While You Play at Walt Disney World Resort to give away this week! For your chance to win, simply comment below, before midnight ET on Friday, October 26, and tell us about the favorite thing you have learned at a Disney park. Please, one entry per person. Winner will be chosen by random.org and announced Saturday, October 27. And be sure to visit our friend Jodi at her website Magical Mouse Schoolhouse and “Like” her on Facebook!
- Be Our Guest: Magical Mouse Schoolhouse and the Most Magical Place on Earth
- Christmas at Walt Disney World: Making a Magical Castle Even More Magical
- Walt Disney World Resort Benefits
- New Prices, New Resort Hotel, and New Ticket Promotion (sort of): A Big News Week at Walt Disney World for Vacation Planning
- Learn the Basics of a Disney Vacation with Birnbaum’s Walt Disney World