Thanksgiving has come and gone and today is December 1 and we are fully in the midst of the Holiday Season. Hustle, bustle, shopping, card-writing, celebrating….it’s a busy, sometimes stressful, yet magical time of the year!
It’s also the time of the year when The Affordable Mouse does some celebrating too! This month we are SIX years old! It’s hard to believe that we have enjoyed six years of helping thousands realize their dream of a Disney vacation….what an honor and we are truly thankful for your support!
So all birthdays require a celebration, right? We are no different, and will be celebrating in two very special ways this year.
First, we will be having some fun in conjunction with my visit to Walt Disney World later this month. More to come next week about how you can have fun with us.
Secondly, and more importantly, as is our tradition now for the past 4 years, we like to celebrate by “paying it forward”….and as today is actually “Giving Tuesday”, we can’t think of a better way to celebrate our birthday and this day of giving back, by sharing a few of our favorite charities. As you look to find ways to spread some magic of your own this Holiday Season, it is our sincere hope that you may find that one or two of these very worthwhile charities will touch your heart in some special way, and that you will consider making a donation in honor of that Disney magic that we are so blessed to be part of.
In addition, if you plan to book a Disney vacation this month, let’s pay the magic forward together! Between today and December 31, if you book a Disney vacation or cruise package with me, I will donate a portion of my commission to your choice of one of our charities. Contact me to learn more!
Please read on to see the very wonderful organizations that we support….
- Alzheimer’s Association: In memory of my wonderful mother who lived with this terrible disease for nearly a decade before passing in 2009. The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading, global voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care and support, and the largest private, nonprofit funder of Alzheimer’s research. The Alzheimer’s Association works on a global, national and local level to enhance care and support for all those affected by Alzheimer’s and related dementias. As the largest, private non-profit funder of Alzheimer’s research, the Association is committed to accelerating progress of new treatments, preventions and ultimately, a cure. The Association is the leading voice for Alzheimer’s disease advocacy, fighting for critical Alzheimer’s research, prevention and care initiatives at the state and federal level. http://www.alz.org ~ Nancy
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society: In memory of my dear father who was diagnosed with leukemia on December 26, 2003, and passed away on January 16, 2004. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is the world’s largest voluntary health agency dedicated to blood cancer. The LLS mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. LLS funds lifesaving blood cancer research around the world and provides free information and support services. http://www.lls.org/ ~ Nancy
- With funding, The American Cancer Society is making great strides in the care and treatment of cancer. Although I lost my grandmother to cancer 13 years ago, I know with new technology and research, the odds have greatly increased for survival. I recently had a friend diagnosed with breast cancer. Because of the research over the last years, she is today a happy and healthy woman with many more years to come. http://www.cancer.org/ ~ Debbie
- Gleaners Food Bank is fighting hunger by collecting and distributing food to those in need, which is about 1 in 8 Hoosiers. Gleaners, which is located in Central Indiana, reaches 21 counties. Gleaners is special to me because I’ve always worked with impoverished populations that have greatly benefited from this food bank and its network of distributors. My husband and I have had many opportunities to volunteer at Gleaners and love the agency as well as the feeling of knowing we are helping those Hoosiers who are the most in need of the most basic thing. https://www.gleaners.org/ ~ Candice
- Make A Wish is a great charity to support. It is a foundation very close to all of those involved with the Walt Disney Company. The Make A Wish Foundation grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions that may make if difficult for the family alone to grant the wish for the child. Disney is one of the frequent sites for these children to have their wishes granted. The families that come to the parks through the Make A Wish Foundation are so polite they wont even cut the lines although they are more than welcome to. They take nothing for granted and don’t want to stand out. These children and their families are just grateful to be in the parks even if they are not feeling good by any means. This foundation needs our help to grant as many of these children their one wish as we can. They are so deserving of this wish just bringing this extra bit of magic into their lives brings the biggest and brightest smiles to their faces. Visit their website for stories of Wishes Granted www.wish.org ~ Jess
International Health Partners – TZ is a non-governmental, non-profit organization working to improve health care in Tanzania. I visited one of their projects in 2009 with project leaders Denny and Paula Lofstrum, who work tirelessly to raise funds and coordinate resources to create a better health care infrastructure for the people, and especially the children, of Tanzania. I am continually amazed at how Denny and Paula use their gifts to spread well-being and positivity wherever they go, despite the challenges they face. They are currently working on a pediatric hospital in Zinga. http://www.ihptz.org/ ~ Elizabeth
Thank you Disney Friends for taking the time to read through our special charities, and if you are able to consider any of them for your holiday donations, we would be honored and very appreciative! May the Holiday Season be one of magic and joy for you and your families!