Today is “Giving Tuesday” where – after several days of giving thanks, celebrating with family and friends and the beginning of the holiday shopping season – we take some time to “give back” and focus on helping others during this most magical time of the year.
We also have some celebrating to do here at The Affordable Mouse, as we are celebrating our 8th birthday in December! It’s hard to believe that we have enjoyed eight years of helping thousands realize their dream of a Disney vacation: what an honor and we are truly thankful for your support! 🙂
As has been the custom for the past 8 years, I always celebrate during this season by “paying it forward” and I hope you will help me do that. I feel incredibly blessed to be able to share this love and passion that I have for Disney with so many, and even more blessed to have had the honor to help my wonderful clients over the years create magical memories with their own families.
The best way that I know to celebrate is to give back.
And so, the team of agents and writers at The Affordable Mouse are sharing our favorite charities. As you look to find ways to spread some magic of your own this Holiday Season, it is our sincere hope that you may find that one or two of these very worthwhile charities will touch your heart in some special way, and that you will consider making a donation in honor of that Disney magic that we are so blessed to be part of.
In addition, if you plan to book a Disney vacation this month, let’s pay the magic forward together! Between today and December 31, if you book a Disney vacation or cruise package with me, I will donate a portion of my commission to your choice of one of our charities. 🙂 Contact me to learn more!
Please read on to see the very wonderful organizations that we support….
- Alzheimer’s Association: In memory of my wonderful mother who lived with this terrible disease for nearly a decade before passing in 2009. The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading, global voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care and support, and the largest private, nonprofit funder of Alzheimer’s research. The Alzheimer’s Association works on a global, national and local level to enhance care and support for all those affected by Alzheimer’s and related dementias. As the largest, private non-profit funder of Alzheimer’s research, the Association is committed to accelerating progress of new treatments, preventions and ultimately, a cure. The Association is the leading voice for Alzheimer’s disease advocacy, fighting for critical Alzheimer’s research, prevention and care initiatives at the state and federal level. http://www.alz.org ~ Nancy
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society: In memory of my dear father who was diagnosed with leukemia on December 26, 2003, and passed away on January 16, 2004. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is the world’s largest voluntary health agency dedicated to blood cancer. The LLS mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. LLS funds lifesaving blood cancer research around the world and provides free information and support services. http://www.lls.org/ ~ Nancy
- With funding, The American Cancer Society is making great strides in the care and treatment of cancer. Although I lost my grandmother to cancer 13 years ago, I know with new technology and research, the odds have greatly increased for survival. I recently had a friend diagnosed with breast cancer. Because of the research over the last years, she is today a happy and healthy woman with many more years to come. http://www.cancer.org/ ~ Debbie
- I first found out about the Make A Wish organization through a 36 hour long request-a-thon on a local radio station here in Indianapolis. Over the years, millions of dollars have been raised to give chronically ill children a chance to see their biggest dreams come true. Many children’s biggest fantasy is to spend a week at Disney World and it’s so much fun hearing about them getting their wishes granted in the biggest way. I’ve grown to love the Make A Wish organization and every magical thing they do for families who typically deal with a lot of stress and bad news. Visit their website for stories of Wishes Granted www.wish.org ~ Candice
- International Health Partners – TZ is a non-governmental, non-profit organization working to improve health care in Tanzania. I visited one of their projects in 2009 with project leaders Denny and Paula Lofstrum, who work tirelessly to raise funds and coordinate resources to create a better health care infrastructure for the people, and especially the children, of Tanzania. I am continually amazed at how Denny and Paula use their gifts to spread well-being and positivity wherever they go, despite the challenges they face. They are currently working on a pediatric hospital in Zinga. http://www.ihptz.org/ ~ Elizabeth
- The holiday season is about love, compassion, and miracles, and that is at the heart of Happily Ever Esther Farm Sanctuary. Founded by a couple after welcoming precious piglet into their lives and their hearts, this Sanctuary speaks deeply to my love of animals and commitment to respecting life, the beauty of the earth, and all of its residents. When this couple discovered that Esther, the piglet they thought would be a micro-pig, was a standard pig likely to grow to 600 pounds or more, they didn’t question their love for her or hesitate to give up everything to move away from a place that couldn’t accommodate her to a farm. They even changed their lives completely and went vegan — they call it being “Esther Approved”. Soon this farm turned into a place of peace, love, nurturing, and healing for a wide variety of animals, from Esther the Wonder Pig herself and several other pigs, to ducks, cows, and more. 100 percent of donations go to supporting the Sanctuary and getting these animals what they need to thrive and live “Happily Ever Esther”. And which one of us doesn’t love a good fairy tale? http://www.happilyeveresther.ca/ ~ Taryn
- Camp Quality is a summer camping experience and year-round support program for children with cancer. Many difficult physical and emotional challenges face a child, and his or her family, when battling cancer. At Camp Quality summer camps they have developed an important type of “therapy” . . . they like to call it Smile Therapy! With a laugh in their hearts and smiles on their faces, Camp Q. Kids find themselves capable of more than they may have dreamed possible. http://www.campqualityusa.org/tx/ ~ Julie
Thank you Disney Friends for taking the time to read through our special charities, and if you are able to consider any of them for your holiday donations, we would be honored and very appreciative! May the Holiday Season be one of magic and joy for you and your families!